Friday, March 2, 2012

Happiness...What... How... When... Where!!


The Master Key

Is there a key to happiness? I keep on pondering and wondering on the thought. What is happiness? How do we achieve it? And more importantly if we achieve it how do we know we have achieved it?

In the next few paragraphs, I am just going to give you the food for your thoughts and nothing else. And may be raise more questions than actually provide answers and just give you my 2 cents on the topic.

Sleeping Doggies on a Cold Night
Let’s start with the key to happiness, personally for me; the key to my happiness is doing something which takes me away from the usual. Yupp... it’s that simple. I spend 10 - 12 hours at work doing the usual stuff, boring stuff, don’t really have a choice... Do I? So when I want to be happy, I do something different, something which I have not done before. A few weeks ago I tried Bowling, and I loved it, it was something that I never indulged into before and now that I think of it, those 2 hrs I spent in the bowling alley were actually amazing as it took my mind off whatever I was thinking. I was like a small kid who was just thrilled by that Strike and did a “High Five” after almost every good shot. For you, it might be as simple as taking a walk. My Funda... do something different and then see... Did it take your mind off off your usuals... did it provide you with something fresh to think about? Did u feel relaxed? We get so busy in our daily routines that we forget the unusuals. Try it. And see if you can come up with what your unusuals and tell me if you have your key to happiness.
 
Taking the question of "How Do I know When I am Happy" a little further. Many of us are so busy in the run-of-the-mill tasks that we don’t stop and see how that makes us feel. Have you ever thought that a simple task of walking barefoot on a beach or cracking a joke and make someone LOL makes you feel?? You might not have given it a thought at all, however the next time you do something like this. Stop and Think. I am sure you will get a different perspective. Think of the person next to you and he might get inspired by you to do the same.

Service With a Smile
Continuing on the "Stop-n-Think" strategy, I sincerely believe in it. Whenever you are doing something unusual, stop yourself after you complete the task and think. How does that make you feel, do you feel a little sense of satisfaction, a sense of self achievement, or it might just make you smile. Isn’t that happiness? And these things if done again and again, and multiplied by their sheer number of occurrences, will make you a happier person? Just look at the guy on the right. He is just giving bhuttas, on a cold winter day, and just look at his amazing smile, he looks happy from within. Again... Food for thought... and Open for discussion...

Happiness should be in oneself, it cannot be chased, or should I say, should not be chased. IMHO, Happiness is accepting your flaws and not worrying too much about what the other person thinks of you or your deeds. There are million or zillions things that can be said about happiness, what matters is, what makes you happy? What makes you click? What makes you bring that million dollar smile on your face which can simply brighten up your day as well as the day of people in your vicinity? Think about it...and then live it... and...Very Importantly.. Stay Happy!! :-)

2 comments: